Tuesday, May 1, 2012

french toast bake

Friday's dinner was my third new recipe for the week....French Toast Bake. A perfect breakfast, brunch, or dinner meal. I will totally be making this for Christmas "Eve Eve" this year! It was so easy and absolutely delicious! I found this recipe on Rach's Blog and pretty much followed the directions completely. I also made a couple tweaks that she suggested. Those will be in red :).

This recipe requires up to 10 hours of sitting in the fridge before it can be baked, to allow the bread to soak up all the mix. You will need a 9x13 pan along with the following...

Ingredients
1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
1 cup brown sugar
1 loaf Texas toast
4 eggs
1 1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
powdered sugar for sprinkling


Step-by-Step
 - Melt butter in microwave & add brown sugar....stir till mixed.
-Pour butter/sugar mix into bottom of 9 x 13 pan
Spread evenly to cover bottom of pan
-Beat eggs, milk, & vanilla
*I also added 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar during this step

-Lay single layer of Texas Toast on top of butter/sugar mixture in pan
-Spoon 1/2 of egg mixture on bread layer
*I also sprinkled brown sugar and powdered sugar before next layer. I MEANT to sprinkle cinnamon, rather than powdered sugar, but I had a brain fart.

-Add 2nd layer of Texas Toast
-Spoon on remaining egg mixture

-Cover & chill in fridge overnight
*Since we had it for dinner, I made it that morning and refrigerated during the day. I left it for 9 hours just to make sure the bread soaked up all the mixture.




 -Bake at 350 for 45 minutes
I covered it for 20 minutes and left it uncovered the rest of the time.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar
Serve with syrup (if so desired)

The top should be crusty, middle soft and moist, and bottom....
YUM!!!!!!

I ate mine upside down so all the yummy sticky bits didn't get stuck on the plate :).
This was so so good! Next time I will definitely add cinnamon but other than that, this tasted awesome!!

(and yes, that is Banner eating syrup covered French Toast while drinking a Dr. Pepper...yup, he had a great time at Sissy's house)







No comments:

Post a Comment