Tuesday, May 8, 2012

a solution to my laundry woes

Now that blogging has motivated me to feed my family, I hope it can motivate me to get my house organized and under some kind of control. We have been in our home for a year and a half now and I still have a room of stuff that we haven't even gone through! I would also like to get a cleaning/chore plan together that will stick with our family. I plan on taking on one room at a time, to avoid any SQUIRRELS, but life could get in the way of that. I love lists, charts, and plans. I love making lists, charts, and plans more than I like keeping to them (I am working on that). I find that I change or update them because I am continually trying to make the daily tasks in my life more simplified (wouldn't we all just love for every job to be done quickly, efficiently, and well?). I especially want to keep my house clean and organized so I always can welcome friends and family over at a moments notice, without feeling stressed.

One task that I can't seem to get a hold of is laundry. Anyone else deal with that? I can't even invite people over during a laundry back up because several loads of clean clothes are piled high all over my living room sofas. With now 6 persons in our family, I demand a schedule that will work for me! I am not a color sorter (ahh!) but I do like to keep nice clothes separated from say, Marc's work clothes. I also always wash in cold and I hardly use the dryer. My make-shift clothes line in the laundry room is hideous, but it works.

This is what typically happens to me. I can throw a load into the wash, but it never makes it to the line/dryer, or if it does make it to the line, it doesn't come down (or if it's in the dryer, it doesn't come out). And if it does get from the line/dryer to my folding table, then it never leaves my table. If it makes it to the table to the correct basket (usually not folded, which is hilarious that I call it a "folding" table) it never makes it out of the room. When it finally gets out of the laundry room, it typically goes onto my actual folding table, the couch. Finally when it's folded and has made it to the right room, it never makes it out of the basket. Ridiculous, but those are my laundry woes.

<><><><>
My folding table
So, the solution (that costs basically nothing)...A new plan, an organized space, and a stronger will power. Well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad. The plan. I do laundry everyday. Just a load. But a complete load. Wash, dry, fold, PUT AWAY. At least then, I stay on top of it. And truthfully, I really like doing laundry. So for me, that isn't daunting. I do laundry by person so I made a list of everyone and gave them a day. I don't want to be doing laundry on the weekend so I grouped Sky and Reese together and Eph and Sawyer together. They share rooms anyways so it's all going to the same place.


Great so, I have a plan! Now, an organized space. First, I would like to show you what I am working with...

FULL Disclosure

My laundry room is also our mud room, but it should just really be called, "the grimiest, dog hairiest place in the house" room. This is where our two 100 pound HAIRY dogs get dried off when it's raining and where the kids get stripped down to their undies when they come in from playing in the barn. If you check out my Laundry board on Pinterest you would find that, unless I get rid of my dogs, children, and clothes, I could have unrealistic dreams as to what a laundry room should look like. But is there anything wrong with wanting a cute, organized, dare-I-say dog hair FREE laundry room?? I say NAY!! Whoa, I felt a severe SQUIRREL coming on...but I'm back.

I will keep you updated as I work on different areas at a time. Hopefully soon, I will have a cute, organzied, dog hair free space. Until next time....

2 comments: